close search ×
justice lawyer in a office selected focus on hammer

Nassau County Post-Judgment Modification Lawyer

Life changes fast, and in the months or years following a divorce, it can change drastically. Fortunately, courts in New York State recognize this and allow people to modify their original divorce agreements to better reflect their current situation in life through what’s known as a post-divorce modification. If you’re looking to modify your initial divorce agreement, simply contact a post-judgment modification lawyer from the Law Offices of Eyal Talassazan, P.C. for assistance today.

Post-Judgment Modification Lawyer | Here to Represent You

If you’re looking to change the terms of your child custody, support, or alimony agreement, you are in the right place. Speak with a seasoned Garden City divorce lawyer from our firm to learn more about what we can do for you.

Modifying Alimony in New York State

There are various circumstances that may warrant a modification to an alimony agreement, but the primary factor in determining whether a modification will be granted is whether there has been a significant and unforeseen change in circumstances. Some scenarios that may warrant a modification to alimony can include the following:

  • A significant change in the income or earning capacity of either party
  • A serious illness or disability that affects the ability or the need to pay or receive alimony
  • Remarriage or cohabitation of the recipient spouse that reduces or eliminates their financial need
  • A retirement or reaching the age of eligibility for social security benefits of either party
  • A substantial inheritance or windfall that increases or decreases the financial resources of either party
  • A change in the tax laws or regulations that affects the tax consequences of alimony payments
  • A breach or violation of the original alimony agreement or order by either party

Modifying Child Support & Custody in NY

Times and circumstances change. Whether they are divorced or married, every parent sees how fast their children grow and change. One year all the kids played soccer, but two years later the oldest wants to do theater and the youngest wants to do karate. There is also changing schools because of the natural progression of life or there needed to be expensive change to a different school because a child needs specialized help. There can be changes in the working life of the parents as well. Modifications of support or custody accommodate the above issues as well as many others.

Conditions For Modifications To a Child Support Order

In certain situations, either parent may seek to have the child support order modified by the court after it is finalized.

  • Change in parents’ circumstances: This includes the loss of a job or getting a new higher-paying job. The court can either raise or lower the payments.
  • Three years have elapsed: The needs of the family change over the course of time.
  • Constructive emancipation: Child support ends when the child turns 21, but it may also happen if they get married, join the military, or become financially independent.

Altering a Child Custody Or Visitation Arrangement

There are many reasons to modify the custody arrangement, but it is still not an easy task. While New York Family Court will order changes if one of the following circumstances apply and it is in the best interests of the child, an attorney is also useful in effecting these changes:

  • A substantial change in the financial situation
  • Abandonment, abuse, or neglect
  • Moving of residence
  • Change in the health of the parent
  • Remarriage
  • Relocation
  • Criminal conviction

The judge will also speak directly with children 12 years or older in his chambers to help determine their desires and reasons for wanting a change.

Any changes to the visitation or custody plan have the greatest chance for success if both parents are in agreement on the matter. However, one parent may be less willing to negotiate a change. A lawyer can be helpful with any change to custody or visitation, as well as support as long as it is in the best interests of the child.

Contact a Post-Judgment Modification Lawyer Today

The bottom line is that if you’re looking to change your original divorce terms, you need a seasoned attorney who can streamline the process and get you the modification you need. Contact the Law Offices of Eyal Talassazan, P.C. today to schedule your free case evaluation without a seasoned family law firm.

Website Designed & Managed by